Wifi calling is the brand-building tech innovation that has been available on Android and iOS devices for quite a while now.
Instead of using the cellular carrier’s network, modern smartphones can use the internet to transport voice calls by taking advantage of a local wifi hotspot. If there is no wifi hotspot within the reach, the phone will only be able to use the cellular carrier’s network to transport voice calls.
How Useful is Wifi Calling in Nigeria?
Wifi calling is very useful in areas with poor cellular coverage because it uses a local wifi hotspot to fill the gaps. The wi-fi hotspot must be able to guarantee a throughout of at least 1mbps to the internet for good quality calls. Even though a lot of cities here in Nigeria doesn’t have the local wifi hotspot working, there are quite some other alternatives you can utilize and make use of to carry out your wifi calling. Although, I will be focusing majorly on an app called “Wificall“. Before I proceed to how you can make use of this app to carry out wifi calling on your own. Let’s quickly take a look at how you can turn on the wifi calling option on your smartphone.
How To Enable Wifi Calling on Android
Follow the below-mentioned procedures to enable wifi calling on your android smartphone;
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Click the More button under wireless and networks section.
- Now, go to wi-fi calling and tap on the toggle to turn it on.
How To Enable Wifi Calling on iOS
Here the procedures to enabling wi-fi calling on iOS;
- Open the settings program on your iPhone or iOS device.
- Go to the phone tab, you should see the option to turn on wi-fi calling.
- Turm it on by clicking on the toggle icon.
How Can I Use Wifi Calling in Nigeria?
Making use of local hotspot to use wi-fi calling is pretty something Nigerians don’t have access to but you know what! I’ve been able to get an alternative solution to this and will be teaching you how to make use of the solution soon.
Wificall.Ng is an online platform where you can signup either for free as a basic membership account holder or for any of the premium plans to gain access to higher membership enjoyments. With this app, you will be able to call people from anywhere in Nigeria using your wifi calling without being charged from your network cellular balance otherwise known as your airtime. Below, is a screenshot of the various plans available on the platform and the membership benefits of each package.
I will advise you to go for the basic plan just to test how it works and then later upgrade to any of the premium plans if you want or need to.
Read Also: Dstv Self Service Nigeria
Final Conclusions On Wi-fi Calling in Nigeria
Wi-fi calling is a very great tech innovation and it’s been around for quite a while now. The only reason why you may get not know about it if you are reading from Nigeria is due to the fact that; 99% of cities in Nigeria doesn’t have a local wifi hotspot to create a connection for wi-fi calling and the remaining 1% having it has it no longer functioning. As for now, Wificall.ng is presently the only alternative I’ve gotten so far. Although I haven’t tried them out, a friend did and their service was awesome.
And that’s all regarding wifi calling in Nigeria. Have any questions? Please, drop them in the comments section below.